Police Bazar fire: Smoke billows after 48 hours of the blaze, Meghalaya CM visits site
First Published: 16th October, 2023 13:18 IST
CM Sangma said that a cabinet meeting on October 18 will be held to discuss the entire matter
Even after 48-hours and several fire tenders trying to douse the flame at the Thana Road in the busy and popular Police Bazar area of Shillong smoke continues to billow. Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma visited the site today morning and took stock of situation and the damages because by the devastating fire on Saturday afternoon that killed one woman and gutted properties worth crores of rupees.
Chief Minister Sangma was accompanied by Chief Secretary DP Wahlang, Director General of Police LR Bishnoi, and other high-ranking officials. They inspected the site and conducted a comprehensive review meeting. The CM tasked officials with providing a detailed report on the incident and urged them to conduct comprehensive safety audits of the affected building to determine the fire’s origin.
Expressing his deep concern for the affected families, Chief Minister Sangma, said “The incident had the potential to be disastrous as it was in the middle of the market area which was congested and was difficult for fire service to come in. It was a challenging task, but all concerned departments and officials, especially fire service, Army, Air Force, Assam Rifles, BSF, police, administration, and the community all came together to contain the situation.”
He lauded the efforts of all stakeholders, who ensured that the fire did not spread out from the affected building to the other adjoining buildings and houses. He informed that a detailed investigation would be conducted on the incident to ascertain the cause of the fire.
“We will closely look into the matter and come up with a response mechanism on how we can contain and avoid such a situation in future”, he said.
He said that the building had several godowns which made the entire operation challenging but all stakeholders have shown their utmost commitment in dealing with the situation. He said that safety audits and other measures will also be undertaken to ensure that such situations do not arise in future. He also said that a cabinet meeting on October 18 will be held to discuss the entire matter.
Also Read : Meghalaya: BJP MDC Bernard writes to CM, seeks equal distribution of funds in GHADC
For more news and updates, visit: Northeast Live
COMMENTS

TOPMOST STORY NOW

Live #WATCH | Another Viral Video of Sonam And Raja Raghuvanshi’s Wedding and Sangeet Video Goes Viral
18th June 2025
Live Israel-Iran War | Wasbir Hussain Decodes the War So Far
18th June 2025
Live Who is Sanjay Verma? Why Did He Call Sonam 119 Times? Who is Ujwala Yadav Who Was on the Bus With Sonam?
18th June 2025
Live Ahmedabad Plane Crash Victim Lamnunthem Singson Was Planning to Visit Manchester United’s Iconic Old Trafford Stadium
18th June 2025WE RECOMMEND

Who is Sanjay Verma? Why Did He Call Sonam 119 Times? Who is Ujwala Yadav Who Was on the Bus With Sonam?
Devi Singh who uploaded two videos on social media is also under the police’s scanner now
18th June 2025
MRSSA or ILP in Meghalaya? Cabinet Minister A.L. Hek Bats for MRSSA over ILP
Meghalaya government on 13 June took a cabinet decision to revisit the MRSSA to tighten monitoring of non-residents, including tourists.
18th June 2025
Raja Raghuvanshi Promised Sonam Tea Every Morning, a World Tour Every Year, and Shopping Every Month, But She Gave Him Death
On a moonlit night during their sangeet ceremony, Raja Raghuvanshi made promises in front of friends and famil that melted hearts
18th June 2025
It Could Have Been Mayank Instead of Raja Raghuvanshi. More Shocking Details Emerge, Read to Know More
Sonam Raghuvanshi, Raja’s wife and the prime accused was planning to elope with a mysterious third person after the murder.
18th June 2025
Meghalaya Bans Private Vehicles for Tourists, Mandates Digital Guest Tracking After Raja Raghuvanshi Murder Case
Meghalaya Bans Private Vehicles: The state has also banned the commercial use of private vehicles for tourism purposes.
18th June 2025